To conduct examinations for appointments to the civil services of the State of Goa.
The Goa Public Service Commission shall be consulted by the State:
(a) on all matters relating to methods of recruitments to civil services and for civil posts;
(b) on the principles to be followed in making appointments to civil services posts and in making promotions and transfers from one service to another and on the suitability of candidates for such appointments, promotions or transfers;
(c) on all disciplinary matters affecting a person serving under the Government of a Goa in a civil capacity, including memorials or petitions relating to such matters;
(d) on any claim by or in respect of a person who is serving or has served under the Government of Goa, in a civil capacity, that any costs incurred by him in defending legal proceedings instituted against him in respect of acts done or purporting to be done in the execution of his duty should be paid out of the Consolidated Fund of the State;
(e) on any claim for the award of a pension in respect of injuries sustained by a person while serving under the Government of Goa , in a civil capacity, and any question as to the amount of any such award;
3. and it shall be the duty of a Goa Public Service Commission to advise on any matter so referred to them and on any other matter which the Governor of Goa may refer to them;Provided that the Governor, as respects other services and posts in connection with the affairs of the State, may make regulations specifying the matters in which either generally or in any particular class of case or in any particular circumstances, it shall not be necessary for a Goa Public Service Commission to be consulted.
4. The Goa Public Service Commission is entrusted with the above functions in respect of Group "A" and "B" posts only. However, certain categories of the posts have been excluded from the purview of the Commission by virtue of the Goa Public Service Commission (Exemption from Consultation) Regulations, 1988, under Article 320 of the Constitution of India, which are as follows:
(1) Posts in respect of which the authority to appoint is specifically conferred on the Governor by the Constitution.
(2) Posts of Chairman or Member of any Board, Tribunal, Commission, Committee or other similar authority created by or under provisions of a Statute.
(3) Posts of Chairman or Members of any Board, Tribunal, Commission, Committee or other similar body appointed by or under the authority of a resolution of the State Legislature or by a resolution of the G overnment for the purpose of conducting any investigation or enquiry into or for advising the Government on s pecified matters.
(4) Posts on the personal staff attached to holders of posts mentioned in items (1) to (3) above
(5) All posts in the Goa Legislature Secretariat.
(6) All posts in the Goa Legislature Secretariat.
(7) District Judges, Sessions Judges, Additional District Judges and Additional Sessions Judges in the State.
(8) All posts in Grade-II Senior Branch- Civil Judge Senior Division.
(8 A) Posts of Registrar in the District Courts Goa.
(9) All Class Group ‘C’ and Class Group ‘D’ Services and posts save as otherwise expressly provided in the relevant rules or orders governing recruitment thereto
(10) All posts on the personal, secretariat and household establishments of the Governor.
(11) Any Service or post or class of posts in respect of which the commission has agreed that it shall not be necessary for it to be consulted.
5. Appointments of Civil Judge Junior Division in the judicial services of the State are also within the purview of the Commission, since besides the High Court, Commission is also required to be consulted by the Governor while making such appointments.
6. The Chairman of the Commission constitutes the committees and assigns the work to the Members and Staff of the Commission to carry out the functions of the Commission. Interview Committees and Departmental Promotion Committees are the important Committees. In case of Interview Committee, Chairman seeks assistance of advisors/experts as per the requirements.
7. The Commission has to submit an Annual Report to the Governor of Goa regarding the work done by Commission, indicating the cases, if any, where the advice of the Commission was not accepted and the reasons for such non acceptance.
The expenses of the Goa Public Service Commission, including salaries, allowances and pensions to or in respect of the Members or Staff of the Commission, is charged on the Consolidated Fund of the State of Goa.